Sunday, February 11, 2007

Arts at Argonne

Last night we attended another Arts at Argonne concert. It was fantastic! The performers were the Altenberg piano trio from Vienna. They performed Mozart Piano Trio No. 5, Beethoven's "Kakadu" Op. 121a, and Brahms Piano Trio No. 1. The Brahms piece was a total revelation. I've never heard of it before, and the opening allegro was simply dazzling!

It's one of the "perks" of working at Argonne, I would say. They organize the Arts at Argonne series of concert each year, and this is their 19th season. The concert is open to the public - you just have to call ahead to make sure you have a gate pass to be able to enter the grounds. We try to go to roughly 2 concerts each year, depending of what they have in the series. Still, I think that they could never top the performance that we attended a couple of years ago which, till this day, I still think about. It was a performance by I Solisti Di Venezia, and bar none, it was THE BEST live musical performance that I've ever, ever attended. I have no idea when this group would be coming back to the US, but if they're anywhere nearby, I'm going.

This is one of the few occasions that I do not mind going in to "work" on a Saturday evening.

:)

Zz.

No comments: